Pages

Monday 18 December 2023

How Do We Love?

(posted on Facebook 10/12/2023)

Ignore this post, it is not about you, it's about love.

As a psychiatric nurse I have had a lifetime of pondering the intricacies of human relationships. Part science and part art, my profession poses the fundamental question: "How do we love?" (not, who, what, or why but how).

And it often struggles to find the answer.

This question has haunted me more than ever this year: working in an NHS in crisis; with War breaking out on Europe's doorstep in the Donbas and Gaza regions; the post-Brexit economy stalling; and asylum seekers being deported to a place few others in the World have ever been, or had ever desired to go.

So this morning I watched this video and the answer I think it gave me is that:

1) We learn to live with the objective and subjective parts of ourselves in relationship to others.
2) But, the unity we find is constantly tested by the antagonistic forces of wider socio-economic realities.
3) So that, although we are all born as two halves of other survivors, we will inevitably struggle to find a unity between them, throughout the rest of our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment